You would think after I read everyone's entry that it would be super easy to just click away at my little laptop keyboard and crank something out After all, I had 30 chances to read and grab on to something. But, if I've learned anything in this journey it's that we all have our own personal demons to overcome. Sure, I've struggled with at least half of the topics listed. And by "struggled", I mean they are my same demons now. So, these are real things and I'm so very grateful to the women who walked this journey with me.
- What have you OVERCOME? Labels
- What was your turning point? I’m talking labels for me and for others. I’ve kinda always been over labeling people. Whether background, ethnicity, home life, profession, or whatever title the world has given someone. I just don’t get it. I never really have. We are all people and we all have the same chance to make life what we can. But, I used to be terrible about the labels I put on myself. Or should I say the “restrictive labels” that I put on myself. For at least 4 years of my “new normal” after cancer, I let “I had cancer” be my label. I let it define me and I let it hold me back. There were all kinds of things I possibly couldn’t do because I had had cancer. I was home for Christmas break and stuck at a New Year’s eve party at my dad’s church. I didn’t want to be there, I was even pouting (yes, it’s an ugly look). But, that night, he had us write a letter to ourselves. It was an out of body experience where I wrote a letter to myself, freeing myself from this label. I told myself this was the year that the “cancer survivor” label was something that was not going to hold me back, but free me. I no longer allowed myself to introduce myself that way. Yes, its part of my story. Heck, it is my story, BUT ITS NOT WHO I AM.
- 5 word life mantra – YOLO, so get busy living!
- Quote you live by – Be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi
Connect with Keisha:
· Blog – bigpittstop.blogspot.com - fyi, you're already here!
· Twitter - @bigpittstop
· Instagram - @bigpittstop
· Pinterest – /KeishaPittman
· Facebook – bigpittstop
· Google+ - Keisha Pittman