THE OFFICE CHRISTMAS party.
While its not my first Christmas in my current office, I had only been there 3 months when the holidays rolled around last year and my boss at the time had just quit so we were frying much bigger fish (oooo that would have been a good idea!).
Christmas came and went last year. For me it was just something I survived. I was not in a good mental place. I put a tree up out of obligations (something I can't even say I did this year). My gifts weren't very intentional and probably didn't even have ribbons on them. Christmas marked a break, a chance for my brain to shut down. And, I think I sent out Christmas cards? Hopefully!
You think I'm making too big a deal out of it? But, let me list the things that have to be considered and then you tell me if I'm over reacting.
- who plans it?
- what has been done in the past?
- does it need to have a theme?
- do you go out to eat or go with the pot luck (we only have 4 in our office)?
- do we buy gifts?
- how much do we spend?
- how do we exchange them?
- do we get involved in another "holiday" related charity and give something back?
- do we plan something for our volunteers?
- when do we have it? during office hours or after hours?
- do you ask for input or just decide?
- do you play games or go do an activity together off site?
- thankfully we have girls only, but boys to consider makes it more complicated!
- do you buy your boss a present different than other people?
- do you give everyone the same thing or something personalized?
- how do you include staff that are on your team but work from a home office?
This is real life people.....
How do you handle your office party?